Saturday, July 17, 2010

Love's Definition

I'm sure many readers have played the 20 questions game with a friend before. If not, in this game you and a friend exchange questions, sometimes simple and other times difficult, until you basically run out of questions. (I've often times surpassed 20.) One particular time I was asked if I believed in love at first sight. Quickly and easily I answered that I did not. It was a simple question with a simple answer but ended in a long brought out discussion.

Going through this thoughtful argument I decided to look into it a little bit and figure out if it was possible.. I am honestly still at a loss. Maybe my readers can help me out?

Here is the beginning of our dilemma.. the dictionary definition -->

_________________________________________________

–noun

1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.

2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

3. sexual passion or desire.

_________________________________________________

(Yes, I did remove some useless definitions.)
My knowledge to the point of this conversation immediately set me on the track of "true love is definitely impossible." From what I could understand, love is a feeling you have towards someone you know and understand, number 3 in the definition bank would make my hypothesis wrong. Although 3 does not support my idea.. 2 more than explains my thoughts and 1 compliments the idea. With this in mind I went to the Bible for some thoughts also.. love is an important virtue in religion.

In religion, whenever you see the word love, charity also accompanies it. In this way of thinking love is also an action. Ever seen "Dan in Real Life?" For those of you who haven't the main character has a daughter who is madly "in love" with this boy, Marty. At one point in the movie Dan, the father, is yelling at the young man, "Marty you don't even know what love feels like! blah, blah, blah" and what not. After a few second of this Marty turns to the father and says very calmly
"Love is not a feeling, Mr. Burns. It's an ability."
Well looky here there are verb definitions for love.

–verb (used without object)
21. to have love or affection for another person; be in love.

Now.. I know this is a very broad topic of discussion and can be argued in many ways but I stand by my first belief. Love at first sight is impossible. Lust at first sight is probable. Distinguish the two from each other and you can be well on your way. Comment and add your thoughts to the mix.

"Love" to all,
Alina Lauren Cooper (;

No comments: