Sunday, July 25, 2010

Integration and Segregation

Let us be completely honest with ourselves here. You have a group of boys and girls together in a room.. would you rather have them segregated or integrated? You have a group of billions of different ethnic people in a room, integrated or segregated? You have groups of kids with different talents in a room, integrated or segregated?

Guess you got the theme, right?

Picture this. You walk into a room and you have all the girls on one side of the room and all the guys on the other. A wise old man walks up to you from the front of the room and tells you to find a seat wherever you'd like. Your choices are either: a seat next to a bunch of girls, giggling and talking together, or between a bunch of guys chillin on the other side of the room, having a good time too.

With all honesty, I'd be going to sit with the guys no questions asked. Although I also know very well that the majority of the girls walking into that room would walk towards the girls, afraid to step out of the obvious boundaries created between the two segregated groups. ( I don't seem to care.) And it would possibly be the same for guys although I haven't seen this act in action.

Again.. I know I'm super Mormon and all but give me a chance to explain. Growing up my parents were always cool with me hanging out with girls and guys alike. As long as they were good trustworthy kids. In opposition to this, my Mormon friends would ask their parents if they could go hang out with a group.. first three questions..
"Where are you going?"
"What are you doing?"
"Will there be any girls/boys there?"
.. and immediately your son/daughter thinks, "Oh man, okay if I answer yes will I be told I can't go or will they feel like they can trust me more 'cause I'm honest?"

By this question are modern day teens supposed to understand that the opposite sex is dangerous and not to be toiled with until the age of marriage has become reality? I mean seriously.. what? I'll be completely truthful.. I love boys.

My Top Five
1. Food
2. Dance
3. Music
4. Family
5. Boys

Why in life are teens taught that segregation is "right" and "safe" and "expected"? In my opinion, being kept away from life's greatest pleasure and danger, the opposite sex, makes especially rebellious, strong-willed, dumb teenagers (I plead guilty in this case) want it and fight for it even if it means hurting or losing the trust of a parent, leader, or favored adult in return.. just 'cause we're stupid like that.

And NOW for my absolute favorite analogy!!
The Jelly Bean Analogy
As a teenager we must taste all the jelly beans until we find the flavor we love! To know our favorite flavor we have to nibble and taste each flavor. Of course if someone tells you about a certain booger flavored jelly bean you will run like a bat outta hell to avoid it (or at least I'd sure hope so.)

(Quick experience update: I remember driving down the street with my mom one day and we came up along side a jelly bean semi. First thing that came out of my mouth, "Dang mom, imagine the amount of boys I'd get to taste!" .. Yes I speak my mind.)

So integration or segregation? I've put up my argument. Lets see what you y'all got in opposition.

Comment and Share,
My Love,
Alina Lauren Cooper

No comments: