Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dance Presentation

Being a Dance Production major we've been really analyzing dance and design on stage. The more we analyze the "in general" aspects of performance the more I analyze my own relationship with dance.

I like ballet. Let's be honest. And I also dislike modern, except for the strengthening factor, but the performing factor sucks. Ballet is all about projecting yourself to an audience: proper posture, head high, open attitude. Modern is all about your "inner self:" contractions, pulling away from the audience, hiding from reality... Or facing reality head on?

I guess I feel like getting on stage and dancing for yourself and your poverty and your sadness and how you've been wronged is all kind of.. Arrogant and selfish. Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for sad choreography and performance; however, when I get in a stage and dance for an audience it is really all for them,and I feel a lot more successful in the end.

Consider it a happy, feel-good perspective but I can't stand having to be subject to people's performances where all they can they about is them.

No comments: