Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Life and the Priesthood


Recent trip to the Las Vegas Temple

Although I know this seems to be a touchy subject in the church, as well as the world, I have felt it important that I bear my testimony on the subject.  I'm not seeking an argument, or even a discussion; however, I find it important that the world does not only see the one side or opinion that seems to have sprouted from within the church.

Personally, I have felt that the recent events regarding women and the priesthood have been especially degrading, not only towards the men (the worthy priesthood holders in the church) but also to myself.  I will start by addressing men and the accusations against them first, and follow up with the degradation of women.

A popular notion floating around in the secular world is the idea that the men of the church are oppressing women by not allowing them to have the priesthood.  Despite the fact that there is no LDS doctrine to back up the idea that women were ever or would ever be ordained to the priesthood I would love to bear my testimony regarding my experience with the male members I have been acquainted with in the church.

My mother's father I always remember as having treats for me, black licorice and jelly beans to be precise.  He was especially loving to me as his only granddaughter for the longest time and still is to this day.  He has always respected and loved my mother as well as his wife, and has sought the most comfortable life for all of us.  He cares so much for the women of the past that when he started getting sick because of a dementia-related disease he spent hours doing family history to find the names of his ancestors to do temple work for.  What kind of an oppressive man seeks to do a service for the women of his history?

My grandfather (father's father) was born outside of the church on March 7, 1935 in Knoxville, TN.  He joined the church and met my grandmother.  They were married in the temple and they gave birth to 12 children.  12 CHILDREN! Although I'm aware my grandfather wasn't perfect, as none of us are, I know that my grandfather did not oppress women.  What kind of an oppressive man respects a woman enough to invest all of his earnings into his wife and 12 children?  His family?

My grandfather passed away earlier this year and hearing his children speak, visiting with the large family, and singing with the other 64 grandchildren and 35 great-grandchildren  at the funeral was a wonderful blessing.  In his obituary he is titled as the patriarch of his family and we were all grateful for his service, his kindness, and his love.  I don't think I can say it better than my cousin Zach, so I will quote him, "I will always remember my grandpa as a man with kindness in his eyes and charity in his heart." Our future as an eternal family is far more important to me than the fight for women's ordaining into a priesthood office.

My father was the 5th of 12.  He met and married my mother at the age of 28.  As per the teachings of our church my father was a virgin until after he was sealed to his wife in the temple.  What kind of oppressive man respects the body of a woman before marriage?

My father continued on in life to raise money for our family, as his father did, to aid in his children's talents and education.  My mother has always been a stay-at-home mother.  And I have been ever grateful for that, but that was only possible through my father's service to his family.  My mother and father bought me a $15,000 harp when I was 11even though financially we struggled.  What kind of an oppressive father buys his daughter a gift to encourage her to grow her talents even in the midst of poverty?

I have two younger brothers and I love them both immensely.  They work hard in school to receive good grades and plan on marrying girls that they love and respect one day to raise up their own family.  What kind of disrespectful young men put such importance on the women they will be serving for the rest of their lives?

And its not just family members I'm relating to.  I love my grandpas, dad, uncles, brothers, cousins, etc; however, any righteous man in the church is the same.  Keep in mind that word: righteous.  Men who choose to follow the teachings of the church respect and love women.  That doesn't change when you are called to a position of authority in the church.

By the movements brought up recently it hurts me to feel that the brethren I've come to love and appreciate for their service in the church has been ridiculed.  These men that I love are not sexist.  The organization is built around the revelation of God, and those who lead righteous lives in priesthood authority as our prophet and apostles have not received revelation that women should have any place in the ordination of the priesthood.  I believe that this is the true church of God and he would not let the prophets or apostles lead us astray.

Moreover, I think it's important I mention the degradation of women in this situation.  Recently a woman's activist group, Ordain Women, has made extreme accusations of sexism towards the church.

Now before I go on, I want my readers to understand why I have such strong opinions.  Firstly, I was called to a position a few weeks ago in the Institute organization by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  My calling involves helping students at Institute "seek truth."  I wasn't given very many details on the subject, rather, the priesthood leaders encouraged me to pray and read my scriptures and they were sure I'd receive revelation on my own.  And you know what?  I did.

In light of current events regarding women's ordination to the priesthood I heard about the 6 discussions posted on the "Ordain Women" website.  I firmly disagree with this activist opinion, (obviously) so I thought.. Where are they seeking truth?  How are they seeking it?  Why are they finding "truth" that contradicts my own beliefs?

So.. I read everything on their website searching to either prove myself wrong or strengthen my testimony.  I know we're not supposed to read anti-mormon literature and everything, but I've never had a question on my faith so I wanted to see where others questioned the church, its teachings, and the prophets and apostles.

Firstly, the organization asserts that motherhood is in no way equal to fatherhood with the priesthood.  . . . Why not?  What makes motherhood lesser?  Are these women telling me that my righteous desire to be a mother doesn't measure up to men?  It reminds me of a recent situation where Kirsten Dunst made a loving comment about her mother being.. well, a mother: "staying at home, nurturing, being the mother, cooking."  Many bloggers freaked out on the subject but one stood out to me: an "actress and blonde who looks good in clothes" is "not paid to write gender theory so it shouldn't surprise anyone that she's kind of dumb about it."  Does this mean that "uneducated" people who have not taken classes on gender cannot have an opinion on motherhood and their experience in life?

In a more recent article posted on January 15th of this year, on "Thought Catalog," some pretty unbelievable statements were made.  "Do people really think that a stay at home mom is really on equal footing with a woman who works and takes care of herself?"  "Women secretly like to talk about how hard managing a household is so they don't have to explain their lack of real accomplishments."  Or my personal favorite: "Doing laundry will never be as important as being a doctor or an engineer or building a business."

Although I know these are extreme "feminist" views I think the underlying message is clear.  Women as wives and mothers are not good enough and those women who value motherhood alone are too stupid to realize they're oppressed.  So.. you're insulting my ability to think and reason for myself, you're insulting my choice to be happy with my role as solely a wife and mother, and you're insulting the men that I love and rely on in my life.

I could go on for days explaining my opinions on women, feminism, sexism, and politics, but I'll save that for another day.  I'd like to refer to some explanations and "doctrine" given through the 6 discussions.  I think they'll speak for themselves.

The first discussion begins with what they call a "Patriarchy Bingo." I will reference a few and give my own response.

1. Men taught you how to be a woman.

  • Umm. No.  My mom taught me how to be a woman.  My mom was probably one of the most influential people in my life and my brothers' lives, and she is, in fact, female. A woman.
2. Even if your mom had input, you knew that the final say on any major decision was your dad's
  • I don't think families would last very long if that were always the case.  Mom rules.  In fact a popular saying in my family is "if mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."  Thus, my parents always made big decisions as a couple. As most Mormon families do.. men do not want an unhappy wife, trust me, it doesn't work out in their favor.
3. You were taught that men and boys are naturally less spiritual, less nurturing, and more selfish
  • Referring back to the men in my family.. I don't think selfishness includes giving up your full income to your family as well as many other freedoms they enjoy as a single man.  And in fact, my dad, when not working to support the family, was a joy to have at home and extremely nurturing.  I know he's not alone in that.  And for righteous men who serve on a mission for two years, that's pretty spiritual.
And there were plenty other critical statements made.  This "activity" implied that men were in control and were pigs.  Beyond that, the discussion continually quotes doctrine completely out of context to argue their feelings on gender "equality" within the church.

Last but not least, I wanted to look at two of the biblical backings they found for their argument that women have held the priesthood historically.  First, they reference prophetesses in the Bible.  A quick search on lds.org shows us this...

PROPHETESS
See also Prophecy, Prophesy
A woman who has received a testimony of Jesus and enjoys the spirit of revelation.  A prophetess does not hold the priesthood or its keys.  Though only a few women in the scriptures are called prophetesses, many prophesied.

Thus.. this doesn't help the argument.  Second, they speak of "women, during the first century after Christ's ministry, who [were] referred to as deaconesses -- Priscilla and Phoebe -- and apostles -- Junia (See Romans 16 NRSV)."


What is NRSV, you ask?  Well, not church doctrine.  The church strictly uses the KJV (King James Version) Bible translated directly from the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts.  The NRSV is titled New Revised Standard Version.. which is a version of the Christian Bible as translated by Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant Christian groups. It is an updated revision of the Revised Standard Version, which was itself an update of the American Standard Version, derived from the English Revised Version which was actually a literal translation of the King James Version...

The ERV claimed to be "the best version possible in the 19th century, as King James' Version was the best which could be made in the 17th century.  There were over 30,000 changes made.  Considering that this translation has now undergone 3 more translations outside of the church, and the idea that revelation is given through God to his prophets, I have a hard time believing that these other organizations have received more biblical revelation than our own prophets and apostles who said that the King James' Version is the most correct.  And the KJV says nothing of deaconesses or women apostles.  

Consider my rant over, I think I've made my point.  Hopefully this will encourage those who are on the fence regarding this subject to look into the assumptions and teachings of Ordain Women and other related organizations and really seek truth as they search for answers to their questions, even if the answer isn't what they want.

Bear in mind,  I seek truth based on my faith that the prophets and apostles that lead my church are inspired of God.  So I suppose I am biased.  But regardless, I truly believe I am a member of a church led by God and he knows what is best for the church and more specifically for me.  I also believe that there are more important things in this life, such as serving those who are in need, introducing the gospel to those who would benefit from our ordinances, and magnifying the callings we are given.

I'd like to close with a favorite scripture of mine: Alma 29:3 and 6.  It states, "But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.  Now, seeing that I know these things, why should I desire more than to perform the work to which I have been called?"

I know that as we seek to humbly perform in the works that we have been called to do, we will receive solace and answers from God to help us understand his plan and to help us find joy, because isn't that what we're here for?

No comments: